Thursday, April 11, 2013

Dahlia Daydreams



Howdy friends! Spring weather can be so fickle. One day it can be warm and sunny and the next it seems as if Old Man winter wants to have the last laugh. It's finally warmed up in New England and I'm dreaming of getting the dahlia tubers planted over the next few weeks. In the mean time I'll need to prepare flower beds which requires just turning the soil and adding a fresh 1-2 inch layer of compost which I'll scoop out of the chicken run. I'm daydreaming of walking through the garden and admiring the many dahlia blooms and cutting to my hearts content.
I hope some of my garden friends at Dandelion House are going to give growing dahlias a try this year. The dinner plate dahlias are fabulous where you want ongoing color and height in your established borders and the smaller decorative dahlias are lovely tucked into unstructured bouquets and bring a much needed pop of color to your summer flower beds.
Dahlias bloom summer, well into fall... I was still cutting Dahlia's as late as October 30th last season! If you are short on space dahlias love being planted in pots on your deck or patio and can be moved inside the greenhouse in colder climates or dug up and stored over the winter in your basement or garage for the coming year!
Wishing you all a wonderful week in gardening and daydreaming of an abundent season ahead!
Love,
Deb

9 comments:

Country Gal said...

Lovely Dahlias ! Yes mother nature is toying with us here for sure . Storm after storm with heavy rains and very high winds this old farm house is just a creaking with the gusts and mean time up north in our Provence it is snowing and freezing rain ! Oh I do hope it gets better I am wanting to get in my gardens soo bad ! Thanks for sharing ! Have a good day !

daisy g said...

Aren't dahlias just amazing? I have one yellow variety that gives us such a gorgeous show. Can't wait to see yours!

Michelle said...

I'll have to give these a try. I haven't really tried grown a flower bed. Maybe it's time I did.

crazyquilter said...

We have had a long summer here down under and the dahlias have been magnificent. We have only started growing them over the past couple of years and really love having them in the garden as well as cut and in vases for the house. Such good value and beauty.

jl said...

Love these!! I have been eyeballing getting a dinnerplate Dahlia.... I want one so bad! I found your blog and I'm in love! You're going on my blog list!
www.fruittreehillhannibal.blogspot.com
Love, JL

HIBISCUS HOUSE said...

Those dahlias are so pretty.

Debbie said...

I love dahlias

Jan said...

Just went to the local seed store and purchased some new bulbs, a 'Hot and Spicy' variety, also 'Pair of Giraffes' (funny name!), and a large 'dinner plate' variety 'Babylon Bronze'. Went with pinks, oranges, bronze...Also trying gladiola clusters to draw in the hummingbirds!
Did you save any dahlias from last year? I tried to follow directions from my Dahlia Queen neighbor and I think that I have some viable bulbs to plant. I will share the technique if you are interested next fall!

Anonymous said...

So beautiful !! I love dahlia's. I am planning on puttin a few in my fron garden.
Have a great day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...