Saturday, August 27, 2011

Late Summer Blooms and Chores



Busy Bee on a Lemon Queen blossom. 

Summer is hardly over. The Bee's are still busy and flowers are still blooming! It's not time to put the garden to bed just yet. Come take a peak at whats still bloomin' at Dandelion House! Please excuse the wheel barrel, I've been weeding and cutting back perennials.


I took these photos before hurricane Irene was predicted to visit our area along the south coast of New England so I could preserve the last few beautiful summer days we've had here. As I type we are under a heavy blanket of fog but it's all sunshine here at Dandelion House! I confessed in a recent post Slim Pickins' that my veggie garden was pretty much a flop this year, but I'm happy to report my flower gardens have been a delight throughout the entire growing season!


The Maiden Grass has already feathered and  is such a calming force to watch as it blows in the breeze on a late summer afternoon.



The Nasturtiums which were seeded in early June, have climbed all the way up the trellis we put in place for the Lady Banks Rose that blooms in spring time on the Little Red Hen House.


I've let it just go wild!




Remember the stone wall and patio project? TA DA! The wall is finished!


The stone man ( Boz ) did a great job picking away at it all summer long in between work and  the beach! All that's left to do is cut the corner pieces with a stone cutting saw so they fit the circle and he can check this big project off the list for good!  


 Cock a doodle do!!!  Hi Rodeo!


Russian Sage blooms summer until the first frost and it's still pretty and purple!


The Catmint Nepetia is one of my favorite new additions to the garden this year. It grows super fast, has tripled in size and it also blooms summer - frost. 


The Hydrangea Endless Summer really does end, but not before it  fades from bright blue to a soft grayish, greenish purple.... I love it like this too!


 I bring them inside and place them in a vase without water so they can dry naturally. They last longer that way and the stems don't get moldy and create an odor.





Check out this You tube video on  Lemon Queen. You're gonna love it! The woman who created it gives this plant raves! After watching it, you'll be looking for a spot for one in your garden too! Look at the tallest pale yellow flowers in the photo below. They really do grow to 96 inches in partial shade, all in one season. 


 Thanks for stopping by friends! I loved having you in my garden!


Here's to a sunny Indian Summer and many warm September days.What's still blooming in your garden? Did you have a favorite new addition this year? I'd love to hear about it!
This post is linked to The Homestead Barn Hop and Tootsie's Fertilizer Friday!




8 comments:

Julia said...

Beautiful! Set the kettle to boil, I will be over to sit in the garden...

Tilly's Nest said...

Beautiful post Deb! I hope the gardens all survive Irene. Stay safe! Thinking of you all!~Melissa

Candy C. said...

Thanks for sharing your garden! Boz did a GREAT job on the wall!

Country Gal said...

Lovely post and photos ! Stay safe and have a good day !

Farmgirl Heidi said...

Deb-
I LOVE your flower garden. The nasturtiums climbing on your lil red chicken house are lovely. Do you candy them or toss em in salads? I hear they're nice in salads or sugared on desserts. (never tried it myself) That maiden grass is so feathery and Rodeo is so pretty. Hope you have a great week and may it be rain and for free.

Lona said...

Your garden is looking beautiful. I hope Irene was not too unkind to you.Your Catmint is so big and lovely. Wonderful wall. That was a lot of work. Have a wonderful weekend.

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

Beautiful photos! I'll have to see if I can find Lemon Queen. I think it'll fit right into my cottage style garden.

Tootsie said...

I thank you so much for linking in this week. It is an honor to host Friday's Flaunt and meet new friends and visit the regulars (who are like old friends) who share. I am always excited to tour each post and see the different flowers/ projects and garden art that everyone flaunts. It is a pleasure to tour and see all the gorgeous blooms...and I appreciate each and every link and comment! I hope you will link in again soon!
(¯`v´¯)
`*.¸.*´Glenda/Tootsie
¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...