Wednesday, July 28, 2010

HOMEMADE Hummus~


Here is a healthy and easy summer appetizer my friend Pat shared with me recently! I took her word for it and prepared it myself ( photo above) and she was right...!  It is fast and easy as well as very tasty.

Dear Deb,
Here is one of my favorite summer recipes. The Hummus is a new recipe for me. I love Hummus and buy it every week at the store. I use it quite a bit for a snack with vegetables and crackers and as a condiment with sandwich wraps. I decided to try making a batch myself and I am so glad I did!

 Homemade Hummus is easy and delicious. The FRESH taste of summer is well worth the effort of opening up the blender. It was easier to make it than go to the store to buy it. I am sure this will become a regular at my house now.


 Lemon Hummus


1 16 oz can of chickpeas or garbanzo beans

¼ cup liquid from can of chickpeas

3-5 tablespoons lemon juice (depending on taste)

1 ½ tablespoons Tahini ( sesame butter )

2 cloves garlic, crushed

½ teaspoon salt

2 tablespoons olive oil


Drain chickpeas and set aside liquid from can. Combine remaining ingredients in blender or food processor. Add ¼ cup of liquid from chickpeas. Blend for 3-5 minutes on low until thoroughly mixed and smooth. Place in a serving bowl, and create a shallow well in the center of the hummus. Add a small amount (1-2  tablespoons of olive oil in the well). Garnish with parsley (optional).

I tossed in a Table Spoon of Pine Nuts and used them for a garnish too!
Sprinkle with Paprika or Turkish Spices...

* All of these ingredients are easy to find at your local market. Even the Tahini!
 
Just perfect for a summer get together round' the pool, beach or back yard BBQ. I find my best recipes are the ones I get from friends." 
~ Pat Smith

I agree! I love a good recipe from friends... It just makes it all the more yummy doesn't it?



Do you have a favorite EASY homemade summer appetizer?




















5 comments:

marcia said...

We LOVE hummus at our house, and homemade is soooo tasty!

We have a few good summer appetizers...will have to get back to you!

happy day!

16 Sassy Street said...

Deb, Thanks for sharing this recipe! My husband loves hummus, but I have never known what the main substance/consistancy is . . . now I know it is chickpeas and/or garbanzo beans! Not as scary as I originally thought!!! LOL

16 Sassy Street said...

Hey Deb, you MUST post some of your metllic decorative painting photos! You are a lady of many talents! Once again, thank you for your kind and sweet words :)

Martianne said...

My kids will not eat hummus these days :( But they do love tortilla bite nights where we put out chips and soft tortillas, proteins (bean, meat, cheese, etc.) and vegies. They get to build their own bites, making sure to eat at least three colors.

On another note, I just gave you an award b/c I love your blog!

http://traininghappyhearts.blogspot.com/2010/08/awards-and-belated-thank-yous-part-2.html

Anonymous said...

Deb - that hummus is really good when served with Stacy's pita chips or pita bread..yum yum

Laura

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...