Friday, March 5, 2010

DANDELIONS~ what are they good for?



I haven't met too many folks who feel this way about dandelions. Have you?
I've been reading up on what is probably one of the most hated weeds on our planet. DANDELIONS! At least by suburban lush green lawn fans. Hey, I would like my lawn to be nice and lush too but we share our lawn with the hated one...I have threatened to tear out half of it and plant more ground covers and low growing flowers along the edges of our lawn.This seems like a reasonable solution compared to spreading poison to get rid of the yellow carpet that appears in Mid March followed by a second showing during mid July.  I'm not sure if their bright yellow faces finally won me over or I just gave up the fight.

Obviously I am a bit sweet on them or this blog might have been called, Deborah Jean's Musings, Artful Ways, or Curiosity Cachet'.When I started this blog in June 2009, I chose the name Dandelion House because that's what we nic-named our house. We grow a successful crop of Dandelions in our front yard every year ( despite all efforts to eradicate them) and our house is painted a warm cheery bright yellow. I like to think of Dandelion House as a cheery sort of  place you can come to for inspiration to see the beauty in art and nature, read a heart warming story, have a laugh or two, and soak up any homeschooling wisdom I have gathered along our journey.



 When you're inspired something wonderful happens. You spring into action and get going on things that bring you and others joy! You take chances, try something new, doors open and you grow.
          Just like the seed of a dandelion that drifts along until it finds the perfect place to take root!

             That's what DANDELIONS are good for!



Fun Facts about dandelions~

Taraxacum officinale ~ I can't say it either, but you might be interested to know that the dandelion was a " Plant sprung up in New England". It was also common in England. the Indians made tea from the leaves and ate the roots. As a medicine, it was a well known home remedy for cleansing the system. The root, fresh or dried, being the part employed. Culpeper speak of its" opening and cleansing quality"...  As a culinary herb, it was cooked in broth and used in salads.

Flowers March - September ( don't I know it ) !

Source: Some Useful Plants of Early New England by Jane Strickland Hussey.




I plan to try a salad recipe with dandelion leaves.... ( if the snow ever melts and the sun comes out again) so if you have a good one to share please email or leave it in the comment box for all to see!

How about you?  Do you love em, hate em or do you eat em?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OH, Dandelions are wonderful!!!! I love them soooooo much. I prefer them to lawn, to be honest. I did an entire series of posts on the uses of dandelion flowers on my blog a few years ago, and there are many articles out there on the uses of other parts of the plant as well. Dandelion is an incredible herbal ally, full of medicine and nutritious food. I like to make pancakes with dandelion blossoms, eat the leaves of course, and I make dandelion infused vinegars and dandelion root tincture . . . totally one of my favorite plants in the whole world. For excellent articles on Dandelion, you could read Susun Weed's Healing Wise, Judith Berger's Herbal Rituals, or Gayle Faith Edwards' Opening Our Wild Hearts to the Healing Herbs. Or just visit the herbal blogs . . . The more I learn about them the more I am amazed.

Sharon Lovejoy said...

Dandelion jump ropes are great. I think I have them in my book Sunflower Houses. Slit a bit of the stem with a thumbnail, slide a long dandelion flower head through 'til it stops, add more links. It is a good jumprope.

Sharon

Debbie said...

I am certain I have enough of them to make jump-ropes and some salads too! :)
I will look for them in your book Sunflower Houses!
Thank you!

Deb~

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...